For each examination, ACCA provides a detailed syllabus and study guide which students are strongly advised to become familiar with. The ACCA F6 Taxation Syllabus and Study Guide follows the same format as the other study guides and is updated based on changes that may have occurred during a specific period.
From this document, you can find information on the connection of the F6 paper to the other papers, the overall aim of the syllabus, exam structure, examination assessment and a guide to the exam structure. You should note that for the F6 examination, you will be required to answer all five questions which will require calculations of varying difficulties.
ACCA F6 Taxation Syllabus and Study Guide
The UK version of ACCA F6 Taxation Syllabus and Study Guide is aligned with the Finance Act. Legislation passed in the previous July will be examined in the exams that fall in the following April to the next March. So, exams from April 2018 to March 2019 will examine the Finance Act of 2017.
A. The UK tax system and its administration
1. The overall function and purpose of taxation in a modern economy
2. Principal sources of revenue law and practice
3. The systems for self-assessment and the making of returns
4. The time limits for the submission of information, claims and payment of tax, including payments on account
5. The procedures relating to compliance checks, appeals and disputes
6. Penalties for non-compliance
B. Income tax and NIC liabilities
1. The scope of income tax
2. Income from employment
3. Income from self-employment
4. Property and investment income
5. The comprehensive computation of taxable income and income tax liability
6. National insurance contributions for employed and self-employed persons
7. The use of exemptions and reliefs in deferring and minimising income tax liabilities
C. Chargeable gains for individuals
1. The scope of the taxation of capital gains
2. The basic principles of computing gains and losses
3. Gains and losses on the disposal of movable and immovable property
4. Gains and losses on the disposal of shares and securities
5. The computation of capital gains tax
6. The use of exemptions and reliefs in deferring and minimising tax liabilities arising on the disposal of capital assets
D. Inheritance tax
1. The basic principles of computing transfers of value
2. The liabilities arising on chargeable lifetime transfers and on the death of an individual
3. The use of exemptions in deferring and minimising inheritance tax liabilities
4. Payment of inheritance tax
E. Corporation tax liabilities
1. The scope of corporation tax
2. Taxable total profits
3. Chargeable gains for companies
4. The comprehensive computation of corporation tax liability
5. The effect of a group corporate structure for corporation tax purposes
6. The use of exemptions and reliefs in deferring and minimising corporation tax liabilities
F. Value added tax
1. The VAT registration requirements
2. The computation of VAT liabilities
3. The effect of special schemes
If you are self studying for ACCA F6 Taxation examination, the study guide will be your best friend as you work through the syllabus content. This blog is where notes for the examination are recorded. These notes follow the study guide and cover every topic. For more detailed notes, you can purchase my study guides.
The ACCA F6 Taxation Syllabus and Study Guide is available for free on the ACCA website.
If you’re ready to starting studying for the Taxation (TX) examination, click here.